Friday, January 18, 2008

ECONOMIC STIMULUS PACKAGE NOT SO 'STIMULATING'

By Schuyler Thorpe
Author and Political Activist

Just occured to me last night--as I was going to bed--that this economic package that Bush proposed lacks any real substance or teeth to be of any real help to the sagging economy.

Pay close attention to his words: "This is designed to help big business stay afloat, and whatever's left--we'll give to the middle-class and working poor."

Think that $1600 is going to you because you're married, have a job, and two kids? Think again.

In 2001, I was promised $300 for a single person, $600 for someone who is married.

I got $75!

Wow!

I can certainly go to town on this amount! I was completely fucked by my own government! Ass fucked so severely, my butt's permantly puckered here!

Surprised? Actually, no. The reason why I got that amount (and not the $300 I was promised), was because I was working minimum-wage. I could only qualify for the $300 if I was making (minimum), $20,000 or more. $600 if I was making $40,000. (Families making this amount got double or even triple the amount.)

So $75 was my damned consulation prize.

And this is the reason why I curse my fucking government for being such stingy bastards.

Everyone talks big and all, but who gets reamed in the ass like a corner-plodding whore?

It's people like me whom make less than $15,000 a year on minimum-wage. (Back in 2001, I was only making $11,000.)

That's who!

No one ever talks about us. We just focus on the high-rollers whom make $20K or more. (Like good little sheeple.)

And that's why these stimulus packages are such a joke and waste of tax-payer's monies.

They aren't designed to help those who truly need it. They just package it in such a way that gives the *illusion* that we are helping you out.

We're not.

We're just adding to the deficit (to the tune of $150B), and the working poor and some lower-class Americans get the royal shaft once again.

But don't think for a second that this stimulus package is going to be of any use to the economy.

While two-thirds of all Americans spent their tax rebate in the first six months of 2001, the rest saved their money.

And did it jumpstart the economy? It did somewhat, but the problems plaguing us from the 2001 recession never really left us. Our job creation numbers have sucked for the longest 8 years imaginable.

Our debt has grown so bad, many certified public accountants are having nightmares and needing therapy.

All it did was give more money to the rich and everyone else was left hanging high and dry.

This time, the problem is worse. High energy, high food prices, inflation which hasn't been seen in awhile, credit card debt skyhigh, and a housing meltdown that makes global warming look like your average July summer bake sale in the South.

And let's not forget $3 gas--which wasn't the case back in 2001.

Still think that your rebate check is going to save the economy when you're faced with these problems?

Bush seems to think so. But Bush has always been locked away in his own little fantasy world.

Funny thing is, so are the Democrats we helped put back into power.

It would be ironic if it wasn't such a sad thing to witness first hand.

Schuyler Thorpe is an author, a political activist, and a frequent letter writer to The Everett Herald of Snohomish County. He can be reached at: starchildalpha1 at yahoo.com

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home